Car & General is the company behind a wide range of automotive and engineering products in East Africa for over 75 years. Established in 1936 as Car & General Equipment Limited, it was initially located in Nakuru, Kenya before relocating to Nairobi due to rapid expansion. Initial objectives were to import and distribute automotive parts, white goods and re-treading. Tyre re-treading, introduced in 1941 was actually one of the pioneers of local industry.
Joining Nairobi Stock Exchange
In 1950, additional capital was raised to finance expansion and Car & General became a public company, floating its shares on the Nairobi Stock Exchange. In the mid 1960’s, branch offices in Kampala and Dar-es-Salaam were formed into separate subsidiaries – Car & General (Uganda) Limited and Car & General (Tanzania) Limited respectively. In the 1990’s, there was a dramatic shift in the revenue base and today, 80% is from different businesses. Today, Car & General is a supplier of many globally renowned brands in generators, three wheelers, two wheelers, tractors, outboard engines, air compressors, laundry equipment, water pumps among others.
In October 2009, Car & General (Rwanda) Limited was incorporated in Kigali then in South Sudan in 2012. Car & General is headquartered in Nairobi with branches in Mombasa, Kisumu, Nakuru, and, Kitengela, Malindi, Voi, Bungoma, Siaya, Kitale, Kisii and Eldoret. As part of Tanzania’s operation, Car & General operates Kibo Poultry Products Limited, one of the oldest chicken broiler farms on the African continent, situated at Moshi. A number of branches have been opened in Uganda and Tanzania.
Click here to know more about Car & General.